map-bg

Land, Indigenous peoples, settlers, and today’s communities.

Since time immemorial, Ancestors of the people called K’ómoks today consisting of the Pentlatch, Ieeksan (eye-ick-sun), Sasitla (sa-seet-la), Xa’xe (ha-hey) and Sathloot (sath-loot) people have been the caretakers of this land, which they called the “Land of Plenty.” This Land of Plenty stretched from what is known today as Kelsey Bay in the north, down to Hornby and Denman Island in the south, and included the watershed and estuary of the Puntledge River, also acknowledging that these boundaries and place names are colonial constructs.

The K’ómoks First Nation refer to the lands between the bays of Comox and the Beaufort mountain range as the path between, it was a travel and trade route to the Alberni corridor and a connection to the indigenous communities on the western side of the island.

Land agreements included the 1884 Settlement Act stripped these lands for its caretakers. At the Museum we acknowledge that we are a colonial created institution, and I would like to thank Charlene Everson, Emily Shopland and Violet Williams for guiding the museum in early discussion on what reconciliation could mean for our organization and how we could create actionable steps; in maintaining a positive dialogue with a forward focus, sharing contemporary K’omoks narratives, and incorporating First Nation languages where they felt it appropriate. Their time and guidance helped us gain insight and learn how to best support their voice in our museum’s walls. This is an ongoing process and we have so much more to learn.

Collection Item
Community

Plan of Cumberland subdivisions, 1926

Type:

Date: January, 1926

History

Registered plan no. 3268 of City of Cumberland subdivisions, including blocks 29 to 38 in Nelson District DL. 24 and D.L. 21, as they appeared in 1926. Lots start from Windermere Avenue in the West to Seventh Street in the East, with Ambleside and Allen as the North and South limits. Further lots in between Egremont Road and First Street have been sketched in in pencil at a later date, possibly in the 1940s or 1950s.
Locations of note include Lot B which was the location of the former Cumberland Hospital, and the Japanese School Block in Block XXVII between Windermere Avenue and Egremont Road.
The map was created by the Engineering Department of the City of Cumberland, superintended by Alfred G. King, and was approved by Alex Maxwell, Mayor of Cumberland.

Description

1 map: vellum, white and black.
100 feet = 1 inch.

Item Details