map-bg

Land, Indigenous peoples, settlers, and today’s communities.

Since time immemorial, Ancestors of the people called K’ómoks today consisting of the Pentlatch, Ieeksan (eye-ick-sun), Sasitla (sa-seet-la), Xa’xe (ha-hey) and Sathloot (sath-loot) people have been the caretakers of this land, which they called the “Land of Plenty.” This Land of Plenty stretched from what is known today as Kelsey Bay in the north, down to Hornby and Denman Island in the south, and included the watershed and estuary of the Puntledge River, also acknowledging that these boundaries and place names are colonial constructs.

The K’ómoks First Nation refer to the lands between the bays of Comox and the Beaufort mountain range as the path between, it was a travel and trade route to the Alberni corridor and a connection to the indigenous communities on the western side of the island.

Land agreements included the 1884 Settlement Act stripped these lands for its caretakers. At the Museum we acknowledge that we are a colonial created institution, and I would like to thank Charlene Everson, Emily Shopland and Violet Williams for guiding the museum in early discussion on what reconciliation could mean for our organization and how we could create actionable steps; in maintaining a positive dialogue with a forward focus, sharing contemporary K’omoks narratives, and incorporating First Nation languages where they felt it appropriate. Their time and guidance helped us gain insight and learn how to best support their voice in our museum’s walls. This is an ongoing process and we have so much more to learn.

Collection Item
Mining

Map, No. 1 and No. 4 coal seams Comox No. 5 and No. 6 mines

Type:

History

This map is of the layout of No. 1 coal seam and No. 4 coal seam as they relate to Mines No. 5 and No. 6. This map is very faded and is drawn in fine detail. There is no title box on this map, but "No. 6 SHAFT" is written in pencil on one long side of the map and "No. 5 SHAFT" is written on the opposite long side. There are three compass roses laid out on the map. The mine shafts are traced in red and blue ink but there is no reference to say what colour is what coal seam level. "No. 1 & 4 SEAMS / COMOX No 5 & 6 / MINES" is hand written in each corner on the reverse side.
Mine No.5 opened in 1895 and operated until 1947. One of Cumberland’s longest lasting coal mines, No.5 was located at the northern tip of the town and is where the No.5 Japanese town site got its name.
Mine No.6 was comparatively short lived, as it was opened in 1898 and dismantled in 1931. Its tunnels were spread out underneath the town of Cumberland, with the entrance to the mine located at the corner of Dunsmuir Avenue and First Street. No.6 was also the site of Cumberland’s mine disaster–the 1901 explosion that killed 64 workers. The two mines were connected underground in 1908.

Description

1 map: multicoloured.

Item Details