map-bg

Land, Indigenous peoples, settlers, and today’s communities.

Since time immemorial, Ancestors of the people called K’ómoks today consisting of the Pentlatch, Ieeksan (eye-ick-sun), Sasitla (sa-seet-la), Xa’xe (ha-hey) and Sathloot (sath-loot) people have been the caretakers of this land, which they called the “Land of Plenty.” This Land of Plenty stretched from what is known today as Kelsey Bay in the north, down to Hornby and Denman Island in the south, and included the watershed and estuary of the Puntledge River, also acknowledging that these boundaries and place names are colonial constructs.

The K’ómoks First Nation refer to the lands between the bays of Comox and the Beaufort mountain range as the path between, it was a travel and trade route to the Alberni corridor and a connection to the indigenous communities on the western side of the island.

Land agreements included the 1884 Settlement Act stripped these lands for its caretakers. At the Museum we acknowledge that we are a colonial created institution, and I would like to thank Charlene Everson, Emily Shopland and Violet Williams for guiding the museum in early discussion on what reconciliation could mean for our organization and how we could create actionable steps; in maintaining a positive dialogue with a forward focus, sharing contemporary K’omoks narratives, and incorporating First Nation languages where they felt it appropriate. Their time and guidance helped us gain insight and learn how to best support their voice in our museum’s walls. This is an ongoing process and we have so much more to learn.

Collection Item
Mining

Map, Comox mine No. 4 lower seam coal works

Type:

Date: c. 1920-1935

History

This map is of the lower workings of No. 4 mine, with some workings of No. 1 mine on the right side of the map and some eastern workings of No. 7 mine on the left side. There are faint pencil markings throughout. Comox Lake is shown at the bottom of the map, and a few other geographical features are noted such as Coal Creek and an area marked "swamp".
The No. 1 mine was the first of the mines to open in Cumberland, producing its first tons of coal in 1889. No.4 mine followed shortly after, opening in 1891. It is the coal from this No. 4 mine that gives the sand at Comox Lake's Coal Beach its black colour.

Description

1 map: buff and black. 1 Inch = 100 Feet.

Item Details