map-bg

Land, Indigenous peoples, settlers, and today’s communities.

Since time immemorial, Ancestors of the people called K’ómoks today consisting of the Pentlatch, Ieeksan (eye-ick-sun), Sasitla (sa-seet-la), Xa’xe (ha-hey) and Sathloot (sath-loot) people have been the caretakers of this land, which they called the “Land of Plenty.” This Land of Plenty stretched from what is known today as Kelsey Bay in the north, down to Hornby and Denman Island in the south, and included the watershed and estuary of the Puntledge River, also acknowledging that these boundaries and place names are colonial constructs.

The K’ómoks First Nation refer to the lands between the bays of Comox and the Beaufort mountain range as the path between, it was a travel and trade route to the Alberni corridor and a connection to the indigenous communities on the western side of the island.

Land agreements included the 1884 Settlement Act stripped these lands for its caretakers. At the Museum we acknowledge that we are a colonial created institution, and I would like to thank Charlene Everson, Emily Shopland and Violet Williams for guiding the museum in early discussion on what reconciliation could mean for our organization and how we could create actionable steps; in maintaining a positive dialogue with a forward focus, sharing contemporary K’omoks narratives, and incorporating First Nation languages where they felt it appropriate. Their time and guidance helped us gain insight and learn how to best support their voice in our museum’s walls. This is an ongoing process and we have so much more to learn.

Collection Item
Mining

Map of No. 5 mine, No. 2 seam

Type:

Date: 28 July 1929

History

This map shows the underground workings of the No. 5 Mine's No. 2 Seam, depicting tunnels, seams, and boreholes. Some tunnel lengths are highlighted in blue, yellow and red. Bevan Road and Courtenay Road are shown for surface reference. According to the map, the mine elevations shown are reduced to datum 2000 feet below H. W. M. (high water mark) at Union Bay.
The No.5 mine was a shaft mine and was first opened in 1895. It operated on and off until 1947. It was located to the North-west of Cumberland, encompassing the area between the town and Maple Lake.

Description

1 map: velum, white and black.
1 Inch = 100 Feet
Projection: Astronomic North

Item Details

This collection item is featured in the following content: